Sunday, November 14

Augustine: Confessions Book 10 (redux)

See (this) for a description of this project. Also, here is my previous entry for Book 10 (here). of which this is a continuation.

I had promised to give my take on reading the Book. What I decided to do while drifting off to sleep last night was to run through the book and record what aphorisms I could from his text. Ms Bright indicates this famous line:
  • Late I have loved you, beauty so old and so new: late have I loved you.
Anyhow, I'm going to read his text and record the phrases which strike me as of lasting value. We'll see if the exersize is worthwhile after I'm done.
  • The human race is inquisitive about other peoples lives, but negligent to correct their own.
  • My good points are instilled by you and are your gifts. My bad points are my faults and your judgements on them.
  • My love for you, Lord, is not an uncertain feeling but a matter of conscious certainty. With your word you pierced my heart and I loved you. But heaven and earth and everything in them tell me to love you.
  • You lift up the person whom you fill. But for the present, because I am not full of you, I am a burden to myself.
  • My entire hope is exclusively in your very great mercy. Grant what you command and command what you will.
  • He loves you less who together with you loves something which he does not love for your sake.
  • Truth, when did you ever fail to walk with me, teaching me what to avoid, and what to seek after when I reported to you waht, in my inferiour position, I could see and asked you counsel?
Well, that resulted in a smaller list than I expected, but on the other hand the act of searching the text for these, resulted in my reading the text closely enough to see the structure to which Ms Bright alluded.