Monday, January 10

I believe but it can't prove

Joe Carter and others all noted on the "I believe, but..." as put up at the Edge this year. Here's a set of insightful comments on many of them that you may have missed by a String Theory blogger.

So here's my challenge to you gentle readers: Tell me three things you believe but can't prove, one about science, one about theology, and one for free (whatever you want). I'll collect them all and re-post (deadline, next Monday). Mine are:

  • Our physical understanding of the Universe will by rocked once again, and just as fundamentally, just as it was when Quantum Theory was discovered. That is to say, we have (at least) one more really big surprise left in Physics.

    I think this is so, on real theoretical grounds because of the difficulty we have in both approaching the classical limits in a regular way and in reconciling quantum theory with gravity. There is a big piece still missing and it's going to rock our world. Quantum Theory hasn't been really appreciated by the philosophical and theological communities, which have more influence on how we view the world than the small world of Physics.
  • God has a sense of humor (and a plan).

    First Things has reviewed a book about Soren Kierkegaard which argues that his writings are full of humor. Humor is lacking from much of the Bible (except perhaps Esther) and rightly so in many cases, for the issues are deadly serious. But I think we are in the image of God and that our sense of humor is not just something we got in compensation from the fall.
  • My kids will turn out all right.

    Parents all over the world believe this. Most kids do turn out all right, but many don't. As they say, time will tell.


Update: Added commentary to my statements. The Edge writers didn't just toss their ideas out there and run. I realized I shouldn't either.