Wednesday, January 19

A Challenge to the Non-Believers

Update: So far two takers, Jim and Mr Moderate. The books I have to be read have yet to be determined. Two more?

Update 2: The book I will be reading on Jim's suggestion is Awakenings by Dr Oliver Sacks. I have ordered it via inter-library loan.

Update 3: A third taker! Rob Ryan has me up on this. When he tells me what I'm reading, I'll pass on the update.

Off and on for a few weeks now, I've been commenting here and there about N.T. Wright. Mr Wright uses modern historical methodologies to examine the 1st century history, specifically questions surrounding Jesus, Paul, and the Early Christian Church. Just as we study Caesar, Cato, or Tiberias, we can use historical methods to study Jesus. Without question these historical figures and their doings have had great impact on our culture and its development, be you believer or not. See the extended post for some of my reasons for wanting to do this challenge.

So here's my challenge, you go out, get a copy of The Challenge of Jesus, from Amazon, a bookstore, or your local library system. I don't care. Read it (it's short only 200 pages), and post or e-mail me with your comments (I'll post your comments if you allow that). In return, I'll do the same. Pick a book, any book. I'll get it, read it, and post a few essay's concerning what I think about it here on my blog.

I'll take the first four offers (to limit my "reading" liability).


Here are some of my reasons:
  • Many of the non-Christian posters seem to have a poor understanding of the breadth of different interpretations considered "doctrine" in today's "shattered" church(es).
  • This is one such interpretation that seems to me might be more difficult for today's Enlightenment influenced agnostic or atheist to dismiss out of hand, as to do so would require dismissing much if not all historical inquiry.
  • The book is short, readable, and well written.
  • On a personal selfish note, I really do want to hear what a "differently" biased person might say when reading this.